Switching from Android to iOS or vice-versa? Transferring data from your old to new phone is easy and doesn’t take a lot time, but when it comes to transferring all your WhatsApp data, including media, chat backups and history, things can get a little bit tricky.
Moving your account information is relatively easy if you are switching between phones of the same operating system i.e, Android to Android or iPhone to iPhone.
But things get slightly confusing if you move from Android to iOS or vice versa. Especially when you want to transfer all your WhatsApp data, including chat history.
Here is a step-by-step guide to transfer your WhatsApp data from your old to your new phone, be it from Android to iOS or Android to Android.
How to transfer old WhatsApp chats from iOS to Android
- Connect your Android device to an iPhone using a Type-C to Lightning cable.
- On your Android device, open WhatsApp. a QR code will appear on the screen.
- On your iPhone, click Settings > Chats > Move Chats to Android to scan the QR code.
- Note, keep your phone unlocked during the transfer process.
- Click Start Transfer after the app completes the backup.
- Your chats, pictures, and other data will transfer to your new Android device.
- Make sure to avoid using both devices during the transfer process.
How to transfer old WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS
- Download the Move to iOS app.
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and follow the on-screen prompts.
- A code will be displayed on your iPhone. When prompted, enter the code on your Android phone.
- Tap Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Select WhatsApp on the Transfer Data screen.
- Tap START on your Android phone, and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export.
- You’ll be signed out from your Android phone once the data is prepared.
- Tap NEXT to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Tap CONTINUE to transfer the data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device.
- Tap Start when prompted, and allow the process to complete.
- Finish activating your new device and you’ll see your chats waiting for you.
How to transfer old chats from Android to Android
- Before starting the process, backup all the WhatsApp data in your old phone to your Google drive.
- For that, Open WhatsApp > More options > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
- Choose the Google Account that you want your chats backed up to.
- Next, ensure that your new Android device is linked to the Google Account where your backup is saved
- Install and open WhatsApp in your new phone and sign in. .
- Tap RESTORE when prompted to restore your chats and media from Google Drive.
- After the restoration process is complete, tap NEXT. Your chats will be displayed once initialization is complete.
- WhatsApp will continue to restore your media files after your chats are restored.
Leave a Reply