Social Media platforms are continuously evolving to suit their users the best while making communication more efficient in the digital era.
Instagram is now rolling out several significant changes to meet it’s users needs, and the most notable feature added to the platform is called Notes.
Notes on Instagram is a feature Meta had considered turning into a Twitter competitor, according to a recent news report.
So what exactly does the new feature do, and what happens when you leave a note to someone? We’ll tell you everything you need to know about the feature in this article.
What Are Notes On Instagram?
Unlike your messages and comments that come with no character limit, Instagram’s new feature, Notes, is a short post of up to 60 characters.
What makes the Notes stand out is the fact that it only appears for 24 hours and shows up in the message section of a certain user.
Users cannot add any pictures, videos, or other attachments to the Notes as they are purely limited to characters like letters, numbers, and emojis.
Also Read: Twitter Blue Is Back
How To Leave A Note On Instagram?
Here’s how you can leave a note to your close friends or followers that follow you back based on your privacy settings.
- Open Instagram on your device. The feature is available for both Android and Apple devices.
- Go to the Direct Messages section in the top right corner.
- You will find the Notes section between the search bar and direct messages.
- Tap on “Leave a note” to create your own Notes. Type your message in “Share what’s on your mind”
- You can send it to people on your Close Friends list or to your followers that follow you back.
- The Notes will not be visible to anybody else.
- The note will appear at the top of friends’ inboxes for 24 hours and replies will arrive as DMs.
There’s not limit to the number of notes one can add but only one note can remain active at a time. This means that if you add a new note it replace the old one.
How To Get Notes On Instagram?
The new feature has rolled out with the latest update, so make sure you have the newest version of Instagram on your device.
Once you have the latest version of Instagram, follow the above steps to create your first Note.
Can You Turn Off The Feature?
At the time of writing this article. Instagram doesn’t have the option to turn off the Notes yet.
However, if you don’t wish to receive Notes from certain followers, you have the choice to mute them. Follow the steps below:
- Open Notes on your Instagram profile by navigating to the messages tab.
- Long press the Notes you wish to mute.
- You will get three options: Report, Mute notes, and View profile. Select the second option.
- Select Mutes notes again when the app asks for confirmation.
You’ll instantly stop receiving any future updates from the muted Notes.