In an intriguing development, leading Android brands OnePlus and OPPO have collaborated to create a new foldable smartphone called the OnePlus Open. The combined expertise aims to deliver “the best folding phone now” according to OnePlus founder Pete Lau.
The fusion leverages each company’s strengths. OPPO contributes foldable design mastery and camera innovations cultivated through releases like the Find N2. OnePlus infuses its knack for fluid software and premium hardware honed over years of acclaimed devices.
Variable Regional Strategies Target Different Markets
In an interview with Unbox Therapy, Lau revealed the OnePlus Open will utilize variable regional go-to-market strategies tailored for different markets. This shrewd approach ensures positioning the groundbreaking foldable most effectively across global consumer bases.
Crystal Clear Visuals and Streamlined Design
Early rumors indicate the OnePlus Open will flaunt the highest pixel density yet on a foldable display for stunning clarity. It also promises a more refined hinge mechanism than the Find N2, reducing weight and boosting sturdiness.
OnePlus’s signature alert slider for seamless mode switching has been incorporated into the foldable design as well. This beloved trademark feature is likely to please loyal OnePlus fans.
No Flip-Style Design Being Developed Currently
However, during the interview, Lau clarified there are no immediate plans for a horizontal flip-style foldable phone. This may disappoint certain users hoping for a flip option to complement the book-style form factor.
OnePlus Open and OPPO Find N3: Same Foldable Phone, Different Names, and Markets
In a recent communication with The Verge, OnePlus has officially acknowledged the launch of a foldable device under two different names, creating some intrigue in the smartphone world.
While specific details weren’t disclosed, it appears that the OPPO Find N3 will maintain exclusivity in the Chinese market, while its counterpart, the OnePlus Open, might be slated for release in international markets.
OnePlus Open Expected Specs
- Design: OPPO Find N3 is said to bring a 37% sturdier hinge with “31 fewer components” compared to the Find N2. We could expect the OnePlus Open to benefit from this generational improvement. It’s 37% smaller in size and is also lighter. Even the hinge gap has been significantly reduced.
The signature OnePlus Alert Slider will also be present as mentioned earlier.
- Display: The main display could be a 7.82-inch AMOLED panel while the cover screen could be 6.31 inches diagonally.
- Memory: The OnePlus Open is expected to offer up to 24GB of RAM and up to 1TB of UFS 4.0 storage.
- Processor: Powering the device might be the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 SoC, providing optimal performance.
- Battery: Inside, a 4,520 mAh battery is anticipated, supported by 100W fast charging and possibly wireless charging capabilities.
- Cameras: The rear camera setup is expected to include a 50MP primary camera, a 48MP ultrawide snapper, and a 64MP periscope telephoto module. For selfies and video calls, a 32MP camera is likely.
- Software: The operating system could include Android 13 with OxygenOS 13.
- OnePlus Open is set to launch globally on October 19th.
The OnePlus Open represents an exciting new direction that combines the manufacturing prowess of OPPO with OnePlus software mastery. If well executed, it could reshape consumer expectations for foldable devices.