Meta, Facebook and Instagram’s parent company is rolling out a new paid verification subscription service called Meta Verified, CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced in an Instagram update Sunday.
This is not the first time we’re seeing a paid verification service as it is similar to Twitter’s revamped service called Twitter Blue, which also grants users a verification badge if they pay a monthly fee.
Meta Verified: How Much Will The Service Cost?
When the service launches in Australia and New Zealand this week, it’ll cost $19.99 AUD on web and $24.99 AUD on mobile, or $23.99 NZD on web and $29.99 NZD on mobile.
The higher cost on iOS and Android is likely a way to offset the commission both Apple and Google take on in-app purchases.
The service will be introduced in Australia and New Zealand this week, and more countries will follow, Zuckerberg said.
“This new feature is about increasing authenticity and security across our services,” Zuckerberg wrote in the post.
Qualifications To Get Verified
In order to sign up to become Meta Verified, you’ll need to meet the following minimum activity requirements.
- Be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Submit a government ID that matches the name and photo you have on Facebook or Instagram.
A Meta spokesperson said that there are impersonation protections in place with Meta Verified subscriptions. Subscriptions will also include “proactive monitoring” for account impersonation, according to the spokesperson.
Unlike Twitter’s plans to sunset original blue badge verifications, Meta notes that it won’t make any changes to accounts that have been verified using the company’s previous requirements, including notability and authenticity.
Perks of Being Meta Verified
Users who sign up for the service will enjoy a couple of benefits. These include:
- A verified badge: This confirms that you’re the real you and that your account has been authenticated with a government ID.
- More protection from impersonation: Verified users will enjoy proactive account monitoring for impersonators who might target people with growing online audiences.
- Help when you need it: Verified users will have access to a real person for common account issues.
- Increased visibility and reach: Verified users will also enjoy prominence in some areas of the platform– like search, comments and recommendations.
- Exclusive features: Verified users will get exclusive stickers for Stories and Reels, and will also receive 100 free stars per month, or the digital currency you can use to tip creators on Facebook.
It’s worth noting that businesses can’t yet apply for a Meta Verified badge and that you can’t change your profile name, username, birthday, or profile photo without going through the verification process all over again.