Safaricom Bonga Points, a loyalty scheme that lets Safaricom Prepay and Postpay subscribers earn points will now be expiring, starting from January 1st, 2023.
The loyalty program allows users to earn 1 Bonga point for every Ksh 10 spent on voice calls, SMS, or data and has been around for more than 10 years.
This move to have the Bonga Points expire is aimed at compelling users who have a substantial amount of Bonga points to use them. This is because in order for Safaricom to benefit from the loyalty program, users need to use/redeem the points.
In their FAQ page, Safaricom has explicitly stated that it wants customers to ‘encourage’ customers to redeem these points.
From the FAQs, all non-redeemed Bonga points older than three years, that is from December 2019, will expire and will be unavailable for redemption.
How To Check Safaricom Bonga Points Due To Expire
You can easily check whether you have Bonga points due to expire by following the following steps:
- Dial *126#
- Select option 3
- Then select option 2 ( Bonga points due to expire )
How To Redeem Bonga Points
Safaricom’s Bonga Points are redeemable for other merchandise sold by the Telco such as phones, tablets, laptops (and other accessories), data bundles, airtime, shopping at select supermarkets, plane tickets etc.
To redeem Bonga points for Airtime, SMS and Internet follow the following steps:
- Dial *126# and Select Redeem Bonga Points.
- You can Select either Free Airtime, Free SMS, or Free Internet.
- You will be presented with the relevant menu showing airtimes, Safaricom to Safaricom SMS, or Internet bundles against the points required to redeem them.
- Select what you qualify for and Send.
Free SMS are valid for 24 hours only, while the Airtime and Internet bundles have a validity of 7 days.
How To Redeem Bonga Points To Buy Goods and Services
- Dial *126# and Select Lipa na Bonga Points
- Select Buy Goods Enter Till Number
- Enter Amount
- Confirm and Accept payment
How To Redeem Bonga Points for Free Phones, Tablets and Accessories
- Dial *126# and Select Redeem Bonga Points for Free Phones, Tablets and Accessories
- You will be issued with a password number, valid for 48 hours.
- Present this password to any of Safaricom Customer Care centres when collecting the gadget.