Tecno has officially announced its entry into the flip phone market with the new Phantom V Flip. It’s Tecno’s inaugural clamshell foldable featuring a unique circular external display and high-end specs. However, this isn’t Tecno’s first foldable phone.
The Chinese company earlier this year unveiled the Tecno Phantom V Fold, a book-styled foldable that offered some pretty good specs for the price.
The Phantom V Flip sports a secondary 1.32″ circular OLED display on the outside. It enables glanceable widgets and notifications, along with using the exterior cameras for selfies.
On the inside is a larger 6.9″ foldable 22:9 AMOLED screen with 120Hz refresh rate. Power comes from MediaTek’s Dimensity 8050 chipset with 8GB RAM and 256GB storage.
Showstopping Circular Exterior Display
One of the Phantom V Flip’s standout highlights is its circular external display wrapped around the camera housing. The mini 1.32″ OLED display provides quick access to widgets, music controls, and notifications.
It also enables using the rear 64MP main and 13MP ultrawide cameras for higher quality selfies by framing shots on the exterior screen.
Flagship-Level Foldable Display and Performance
When opened, the Phantom V Flip reveals a 6.9″ LTPO foldable display with 1080×2460 resolution. It supports up to 1,000 nits brightness and silky smooth 120Hz refresh rate.
Tecno claims virtually no crease on the Phantom V Flip, and the hinge is rated for at least 200,000 folds. Howevwer, unlike the Phantom V Fold, the Flip supports the ability to “pose” the hinge between 30 and 150 degrees for taking calls, pictures, and more.
At the heart of the Tecno Phantom V Flip lies the powerful Mediatek Dimensity 8050 chipset, boasting an octa-core CPU with clock speeds reaching an impressive 3.0 GHz. Initial specifications include 256 GB storage and 8 GB RAM, with the possibility to expand the latter by up to 8 GB through the Extended Memory software feature.
45W Charging and Custom AI Assistant
Despite its foldable form, the Phantom V Flip still packs a sizable 4,000 mAh battery. The battery size isn’t as big as that of the OPPO Find N2 Flip but it’s still bigger than that of the Samsung Z Flip 5. It charges rapidly at 45W with the included adapter, with Tecno claiming 50% charge in just 15 minutes.
Software highlights include EllaGPT, Tecno’s custom AI assistant with enhanced intelligence features. The Phantom V Flip runs Tecno’s HiOS 12 based on Android 12.
Pricing & Availability
Available in two striking colors – Black and Purple, the Tecno Phantom V Flip has been competitively priced at INR49,999 during its unveiling, approximately translating to $605/€555.
According to GSMARENA, European markets can expect a price tag of €700, while other regions may get early-bird promotions with an equivalent price of around $650. This price tag is quite impressive owing to the fact that it’s almost half the price of the Z Flip 5 from Samsung. And yes, you’ll be loosing out on some features, but in all honesty, this looks like a killer deal.
Tecno Phantom V Flip Specs
- Body: 171.7×74.1×6.9mm, 194g; Plastic front (opened), leather back, steel hinge, aluminum frame;.
- Display: 6.90″ Foldable LTPO AMOLED, 120Hz, 1000 nits (peak), 1080x2640px resolution, 22:9 aspect ratio, 413ppi; Cover display: AMOLED, 1.32 inches, 360 x 360 px, 352ppi, 800 nits.
- Chipset: MediaTek Dimensity 8050 (6 nm): Octa-core (1×3.0 GHz Cortex-A78 & 3×2.6 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G77 MC9.
- Memory: 256GB 8GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS/Software: Android 13, HiOS 13.5.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 64 MP, f/1.7, 25mm, 1/1.73″, 1.6µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 13 MP, 1.12µm, f/2.2, PDAF.
- Front camera: 32 MP, f/2.45, 24mm (wide), 0.8µm, PDAF.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60fps, HDR; Front camera: 1440p@30fps, 1080p@30/60fps.
- Battery: 4000mAh; 45W wired, 50% in 15min (advertised).
- Connectivity: 5G; Wi-Fi 6; BT 5.2; NFC.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); stereo speakers;