Safaricom, the leading telecommunications company in Kenya, has introduced a groundbreaking feature that allows its customers to pay for goods and services using their Safaricom data bundles. This innovative service, known as Safaricom Lipa na Data, provides a convenient and seamless way for customers to utilize their mobile data for transactions. Whether you’re a postpaid or prepaid customer, Safaricom Lipa na Data offers a range of options to suit your needs.
How to Access Safaricom Lipa na Data
To access the Lipa na Data service, follow the following steps:
- Check Safaricom Data Balance: Ensure you have at least 5GB mobile data on your Safaricom line. Dial *544# to check your data balance.
- Access Lipa na Data Service: Dial *544*34# on your Safaricom phone to enter the Lipa na Data service. It’s available for Postpay customers with 5GB+ data balance and Prepaid customers with No Expiry bundles above 5GB.
- Navigate Menu Options: Once in Lipa na Data, a menu will appear with options like Buy Goods, Pay Bill, Bundles Calculator, and View Bundle Balance.
- Use Bundles Calculator: Use the Bundles Calculator to determine your bill’s cost in Kenyan Shillings based on your data bundle equivalent. For example, paying KES 130 requires 2GB of data. Calculate how much data will be used for payment.
- Select Payment Method: If you have sufficient data bundles, choose your preferred payment method – Pay Bill or Till Number – based on what you’re paying for.
- Fill Payment Details: Enter the prompted payment details, such as the PayBill number or Till Number, and the amount you want to pay.
- Review and Accept Transaction: The Lipa na Data service will display the payment amount in data bundles. Review the information, and if correct, accept the transaction to complete the payment.
- Await Confirmation: After accepting the transaction, wait for a confirmation message from Safaricom indicating successful payment. Keep the confirmation message for your records.
In order to qualify for Safaricom Lipa na Data, there are certain eligibility requirements that customers must meet. Firstly, you need to have a minimum of 5GB of mobile data on your Safaricom line. This requirement applies to both postpaid and prepaid customers. If you have less than 5GB of data, you will receive an error message as shown below indicating that you are ineligible for the service. It’s important to ensure that you have sufficient data before attempting to use Safaricom Linden on Date.
Redeeming Bundles for Payments
Customers who qualify for Lipa na Data will have the option to redeem their mobile data bundles for payments. There’s a Bundle Calculator option within the service that allows you to calculate the value of your data bundles in Kenya Shillings.
— Wycliffe Musalia (@Wise_musalia) June 27, 2023
For example, if you have 500 Mbs of mobile data, the Bundle Calculator will indicate that you can redeem it for KSh 32.50. This means that if you need to make a payment of KSh 1,000, you would require approximately 15.3GB of redeemable data.
The service is similar to Safaricom’s Lipa na Bonga, which is accessible through the USSD code *126# and is available to customers enrolled in the Safaricom Loyalty Programme.
Lipa na Data provides customers with two payment methods: PayBill and Till Number. With the PayBill option, you can seamlessly pay for goods and services by entering the relevant PayBill number and the amount you wish to pay. The Till Number option allows you to make payments by entering the Till Number provided by the merchant. Both payment methods offer a secure and convenient way to utilize your Safaricom data for transactions.
Safaricom’s Commitment to Innovation
Safaricom has always been at the forefront of innovation in the telecommunications industry. The introduction of Safaricom Lipa na Data is another testament to the company’s commitment to providing cutting-edge solutions to its customers. By harnessing the power of mobile data, Safaricom is revolutionizing the way people make payments, further cementing its position as a leader in the Kenyan market.
“Imagine a seamless experience; secure, no hustle of keying in details, no risk of ‘paying to the wrong number.’ We have been working with payment service providers, banks, and card schemes, among others, to bring you Safaricom Linden on Date,” said Safaricom in a statement.
The Future of Safaricom Lipa na Data
While Lipa na Data has already made waves in the market, it is only the beginning of a much larger initiative. Safaricom plans to further expand and enhance the service to cater to the needs of all eligible customers.
As the service evolves, more merchants will be onboarded, allowing Safaricom subscribers to pay for a wider range of goods and services using their mobile data. The new Safaricom service is set to play a pivotal role in driving the adoption of mobile payments and accelerating Kenya’s journey towards a cashless society.